NEW: Hodgson Calls for Action from AG on Overdose Epidemic
Tuesday, April 08, 2014
“Leadership means showing an urgency to address this situation.” said Senator Hodgson, “In a resource starved governing environment, the Attorney General is in a unique position to show decisive leadership here. Instead he just sits on the sidelines. When I am elected, I will work with the Department of Health to protect the safety of all Rhode Islanders, and put these public resources to the use they are intended, to save lives. There is no excuse for this delay."
Senator Hodgson first proposed taking action on the overdose epidemic on February 25th, when his campaign released an Action Plan for utilizing Google settlement funds held by the Department of Attorney General to address immediate and longstanding safety and justice issues facing Rhode Island.
The funds, approximately $60 Million in total, were a windfall granted to the Rhode Island Attorney General in 2012 as a result of United States Attorney Peter Nehrona's successful prosecution of Google for advertising of illegal prescription drugs online.
"The Justice Department distributes resources like this to law enforcement organizations in order to meet pressing justice and safety needs of their jurisdiction" said Senator Hodgson. "Rhode Island has longstanding and neglected needs in this area. It is important to have a plan in place to put these resources to use in an effective, timely, transparent, and responsible way. The framework I have assembled and will implement when I am elected Attorney General will make a strong and immediate impact on justice and safety for Rhode Island."
Related Slideshow: Breakdown of Overdose Deaths in RI - 2009 to 2014
- Rhode Island Drug Overdose Deaths Have Tripled in Past Ten Years
- HIV + Drug Overdose Linked in RI Hospital Study
- Richard Hill: Addressing Opiate Addiction and Overdose In RI
- Hundreds in Rhode Island Expected to Die from Overdose in 2014
- Kilmartin Could Be Vulnerable to Hodgson in RI AG’s Race
- NEW: Chafee Issues Statement on Drug Overdose Deaths in RI
- NEW: Candidate for AG Hodgson Proposes Action Plan for Google Fund
- NEW: Rhode Island Has 38 Drug Overdose Deaths So Far in 2014
- NEW: Hodgson Announces Candidacy for Attorney General
- NEW: Spike in Drug Overdose Deaths Reported by HEALTH
- NEW: Hodgson Wants To Slow Down Transition to State Board of Education
- PBS to Air Heroin Overdose Documentary and Discussion on Thursday
- PODCAST:Hundreds in RI Expected to Die from Overdose in 2014